Twitter and Mobile – a match made in heaven
Twitter, Inc has just released its fourth quarter and fiscal year results for 2013. Makes for some interesting reading.
Monthly active users of Twitter are on the increase, surging 30% year on year. https://investor.twitterinc.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=823321
This figure dwarfs Facebook’s 16% increase in its user base, but overall usage numbers for Facebook are almost 5 times higher at 1.25 billion active users. http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/feb/04/facebook-in-numbers-statistics
BUT, what we thought was really interesting were the mobile stats for Twitter:
– 76% of their monthly users are on mobile
– Mobile advertising revenue made up more than 75% of total advertising revenue
Statistics like this can’t be ignored.
What does that mean for you – These are the risks:
- You create an awesome website, but you forget to optimise it for mobile (See responsive design)
- Install Facebook / Twitter / LinkedIn sharing capability so people can tell their friends how wonderful your lovely site is
- Users love your site, and decide to share your site’s message socially e.g. through Twitter. Cough, this is free advertising.
- 75% of these Twitter uses who see this message will be on mobile. They click the link on Twitter and hey presto, they are instantly disappointed with your non-optimised site.
You have been warned.
Ciaran (Commercial Manager)
P.S. Can’t wait to see what happens if the proposed Twitter and Stripe commerce venture goes ahead.